Hair statistics are not easy to access. There are several ongoing research projects about hair/hair science. There are also many surveys conducted to understand people’s opinions about hair, and how they care for it.
Hair restoration or hair transplant surgery is now one of the most common cosmetic and medical surgeries performed in the world. The US based International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) prepares census results about hair restoration. The association is a non-profit one, and is a global and leading figure in hair restoration.
The latest results were published in July 2015. When we share information with our readers, viewers, and followers, we choose to publish the latest, most accurate, and most importantly most objective and scientific findings.
The same year (2015), ISHRS asked its member physicians to participate in their hair restoration study.
We will now share with you a few important points, and a summary of their findings:
- The most number of hair restoration surgeries were performed in Asia (about 143,000), followed by the United States (about 112,000) in 2014.
- The total number of hair restoration surgeries performed all around the world (ISHRS members, therefore reliable clinics) was almost 400,000 in 2014. The change from 2012 to 2014 is 28%.
- The change from 2006 to 2012 was 76%, perhaps because more and more clinics started to implement the FUT (Follicular Unit Transfer) method.
- The total number of hair patients is over 1,000,000 from all around the globe. About 70% of this number is nonsurgical patients.
- The average number of patients per member in 2014 was 164 surgical patients. This is a high number, and means the ISHRS members are very experienced in hair restoration surgeries.
- About 85% of the hair restoration surgery patients are male. When we look at the non-surgical patients, this number drops to 60%.
- As of 2015, 21% of ISHRS have been performing hair transplantation for over 20 years. High expertise: Check.
- Also, most of the ISHRS members are devoted to hair transplantation surgery.
- According the hair restoration statistics provided by ISHRS, half of the hair restoration patients fell between the ages of 30 to 49 years old. The same applies for both sexes.
- Women told aside from wanting more hair, they felt self-conscious about lack of or thinning hair, and opted for hair restoration surgery.
- Close to 90% of the hair restoration surgeries were performed on the scalp, followed by the eyebrow, and facial (moustache and/or beard).
- Eyelash hair restoration is not uncommon in the Middle East.
- The most commonly prescribed medical drugs were: Rogaine, Propecia, and Minoxidil.
- Most patients received their desired results in one go: one hair restoration procedure. Successful! Bravo!
- Cloning and stem cell therapy seem to be the next big thing in hair restoration.
- Many people tried hair PRP too.
- People like Shakira’s hair. Can’t blame them!
This is a summary of the hair statistics/practice census conducted by the ISHRS, one of the most important institutions about hair restoration. If you want to access the statistics, please follow the link.